Monday 12 September 2011

The car gave birth to pedestrian-hostile roads and intersections, high rises, and parking lots. Amato, Joseph Anthony 2004, 'On Foot: A History of Walking'


Todd had asked us if we have a particular path we choose to walk, I have two. One is a back alley that runs parallel to Regent street, when I ride my bike or walk to uni, seeing the street that turns into that alley is bliss -I can turn off from the busy flow of traffic (and usually from pedaling as fast as my heart can handle, to keep up with the cars from the Cleveland street traffic lights). When enetering this street it feels as though I've been transported to another part of town, it's in the city but it's calm, it is a mini haven until George street closes in on my steps (or pedals).


The other is a lovely dog park a block away from my home, on the same street but the opposite side to the side that my home is on. If I have somehow ended up on my home side of the street before I reach the park, I always cross over and make sure I walk next to the grass and the trees; even though that means crossing back again after I have come to the end of the street -walking next to the park, rather than next to it but across a road from it, makes me feel like I am temporarily a part of the setting and nature itself, and actually lifts my spirits (ESPECIALLY after a long day at uni!) 


I plan to do an observational task there later this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.